Fiber Corner

Daily life of a knitting designer/publisher of handknitting patterns

Sunday, March 18, 2007

It's Spring!!

It might not technically be spring on the calendar yet, but an event occurred today that shows it has definitely arrived in Northeast Wisconsin. Yes...the robins have arrived!! I spotted one this morning and even though there still could be some cold temps and maybe even a little snow, it shows that winter's back has definitely been broken and the weather will steadily be improving.

To go along with that, I have photos of a spring shawl I knit last week. It's the Swallowtail designed by Evelyn Clark (pattern from the Fall 2006 IK).

I used one hank of Handmaiden SeaSilk (70% Silk, 30% Seacell) and because it was nearly the exact yardage required by the pattern and since I didn't want to run out of yarn on the last row, I used the size 4 needles called for in the directions. In fact, when I weighed what was left after reaching the last row, I discovered that it was about 1/4 of the skein or 100 yds, which was just too much to waste with such pricey yarn. So I ripped out the entire shawl and reknit it on size 6 needles. This gave me a larger more wearable sized shawl than the small size when made on size 4's. I also like the drapey quality in the finished fabric when done on the larger needles as compared to the smaller ones.
The colorway is called Capri and even though it is variegated between blues and lavender, the patterning still shows up nicely. The nupps weren't bad! I guess after knitting the 7 st version in Galina's Lily of the Valley shawl last year, this 5 st version seemed much easier. Especially because it was done in St st instead of garter.

I've heard some reports that this yarn has an unpleasant odor but I didn't have any problems at all. Even while wet blocking it, I was surprised by the lack of any smell of silk. It is definitely a luxurious yarn that I'd love to use again. In fact, the shop had another colorway that I keep thinking would make a wonderful Flower Basket shawl; another springlike Evelyn Clark pattern that I've never knit. Could I be the last laceknitter on earth that hasn't made one--sometimes it feels that way.

Anyway, if spring hasn't sprung in your neck of the woods, I hope it's just around the corner!

11 Comments:

At 10:20 PM, Blogger Denise said...

Vicki, the shawl is completely gorgeous! I have to admit that I got a bit dizzy when I got to the part where you said you ripped out the entire shawl after it was finished.

Your work is always so inspiring!

 
At 10:32 PM, Blogger Romi said...

That is totally gorgeous! I want one! :)

 
At 8:45 AM, Blogger CatonsvilleCats said...

I love that pattern. The nupps aren't even so bad, are they? Not with a crochet hook anyway.

 
At 8:51 AM, Blogger A Fiber Frolic said...

Just last night I began knitting the Swallowtail, but don't like the yarn I was using. Now I see how beautiful it can be with the right yarn. You've inspired me t try again with another yarn.

(Ripped out the whole thing?) Yikes!

Roberta

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger jenknits said...

Gorgeous! I may cast on for that same shawl in that same yarn (different colorway). Thanks for reporting back on what size needles to use!

 
At 1:24 PM, Blogger Angela said...

Truly beautiful Vicki!

Thanks for the Winter IK.

 
At 7:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's just gorgeous! I'm sure it was gorgeous on 4's, too. I still can't believe you ripped it out - and you have already reknit it!

 
At 11:35 PM, Blogger Barb said...

That is just gorgeous. Wow, so nice you knit it twice! Truly a beautiful shawl. Congratulations

 
At 7:26 AM, Blogger vanessa said...

vicki, your swallowtail is stunning!!!!!

 
At 2:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

your swallowtail is lovely! it is nice to know about the yardage, so thank you for sharing it.

 
At 11:17 AM, Blogger Sheila E said...

Very, very lovely!! To say the least! The color and the pattern all go together so nicely! It will be a great shawl to wear into Spring.
I just can't believe that you ripped it out...hopefully someday I would be this brave.
Enjoy it, it's beautiful!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home