Fiber Corner

Daily life of a knitting designer/publisher of handknitting patterns

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Cookie update

Haven't updated my list of cookie baking adventures in awhile. Unfortunately I only have one picture to share. The rest of the batches were made during the hurried days of pre-Thanksgiving preparations.

I tried 3 more recipes from the Martha Stewart Cookie mag. Two successes and one failure. The successes were Snickerdoodles (hard to wreck those) and Chocolate Crackle cookies (made with bittersweet chocolate. Yum!). The total failure was a Oatmeal Applesauce Raisin Cookie. They all ran together on the cookie sheet so were basically unusable.

Then, yesterday I received a call from a cousin saying he was going to stop by on his way from Chicago to MN on the way to visit his mom. My aunt is living in a nursing home. She was the absolute BEST cook and baker. And, it was all intuitive; she never used recipes. When you visited at her house, she always had fresh baked bread and cookies for dessert--even for breakfast. So, I whipped up a couple of batches of her favorites for my cousin to take along with him--a date drop cookie which I call Aunt Vi cookies and the perfect Oatmeal Chocolate Chip cookie (which she said she had learned from my grandmother). I learned how to make both of them as well as how to bake bread when I stayed with her one weekend years ago. I hope they bring her good memories.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home