Fiber Corner

Daily life of a knitting designer/publisher of handknitting patterns

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

May Day

It's May Day today but no one left a basket of flowers at my door. However, the mailman brought me a box containing Hope.

Hope, meaning the name of the Corriedale sheep that grew this lovely fleece. It was much crimpier than I expected and oh, so soft. Kerry suggested I check out the fleeces from Whitefish Bay Farm and when she gives you a tip, I suggest you follow it. The Year of the Fleece rolls on.

Not much knitting has been happening, but I have been spinning. This is a skein I spun on the little Ashford Joy wheel I borrowed from a friend.
The color is way off--it's more of a burgundy color but it's my first 3 ply skein. I've been inspired by the ones I've seen on several blogs lately and thought it was about time I tried my hand at it. I used 2 singles of a superwash Corriedale and one single spun from some Tussah dyed by The Silkworker. At first I considered making socks from it, but think it will be a little too thick for that. I prefer my socks to be fingering weight and this came in closer to sport weight. So, now I'm thinking more of a hat/glove combo.

Okay, enough blogging, I must go wash that fleece! Mmmm!

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 9:21 PM, Blogger Melanie said...

Your corrie/silk skein is very pretty and as always, your spinning is perfection.

I love Hope's crimp. I don't think I've ever seen such a snow white fleece.

 
At 10:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, Hope is lovely! I'm glad she finally got there, before you gave up... hope. That just looks like the insides of a pillow.

Fun yarn! I like the little accent to it/

 
At 5:44 AM, Blogger vanessa said...

gorgeous fleece!
gorgeous yarn!
i cannot believe that fleece hasn't been washed yet!

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger Romi said...

Ooooh. Yummy. :)

 
At 7:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How funny! I have corriedale fleece from a sheep named Hope, too! I got it at MS&W 2 years ago. I have been yearning to spin it lately which means I have to comb it first...

That skein is really beautiful.

 
At 6:45 PM, Blogger Spinny Bunt said...

Love the 3 ply ply! I can't wait to see what you're gonna make with it.

 
At 8:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey girl...love the yarn. How come I don't get that from my Joy?
Patty

 

Post a Comment

<< Home