Fiber Corner

Daily life of a knitting designer/publisher of handknitting patterns

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Another Weekend...

Another fiber market! Last weekend was the Door County Shepherd's Market hosted by Whitefish Bay Farm. It was very small but nicely organized and put together with a nice assortment of vendors. I was looking to try out my fleece buying skills and didn't have to look far before finding a beauty.

This is Misha. A silver Corrie from Whitefish Bay Farm. I really wasn't looking for another Corrie as I already had Hope, the white fleece purchased from them in April, but this one was too beautiful to pass up. It's what they call a "classic" fleece as opposed to Hope's which was "extra fine". Misha is not quite as soft and is less crimpy than Hope. Actually, the shepherd had recently had the fleeces micron tested, and said the extra fine measured in at 23 microns whereas the classic fleeces were more like 28 microns--still plenty soft. I actually think I may like working with this one more than the other. And, apparently this sheep carries a "blue" gene so the yarn spun from it won't end up on the grey/tan/brown range but will stay nice and silver. At least, that's what the shepherd claimed.

The only other purchases were some Corrie batts from Whitefish Bay farm. It's a preparation I haven't had too much experience with and these looked really nicely done so I couldn't pass them up. The white has 10% angora added and the blue was dyed with indigo. I'm thinking something stranded would be nice to make out of the yarn. The mohair locks are from Goathill Farm (no website). No idea what I'll do with them, but the color was so pretty it was impossible to not get them.
In knitting news, I finally finished one of the front sides of Mediterranean Lace. This shawl has an interesting construction as it looks like a triangle shape in the back and has rectangle pieces in the front to make it like a stole. It should be fun to wear but those long front rectangles are worse than making sleeves! One done, and one to go. Sorry, no pics yet.

But, I do have photos of the skeins made from the bobbin photo last week.
It surprised me, how different the two skeins turned out. It wasn't apparent in the roving stage that one end was more saturated than the other. When spinning them, I tried to relearn my original way of drafting which is a sort of a short backward woolen method and as it's Corrie, it poofed considerably when I washed them.

This week it's all about the garden. Summer seems to have kicked in early around here. Hope you enjoy sunny days and starry nights, too!

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 8:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmm yumm. I love looking at yarn and fleece in the morning! I hope the silver fleece stays silver, I know what you mean about grey turning brown.

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger Melanie said...

Silver fleece, my favourite! It looks yummy, and so do the batts, mohair locks and handspun. The indigo dyed batt is a wonderful shade of blue. The locks would make a nice bowl of eye candy.

 
At 8:39 PM, Blogger vanessa said...

love the poof factor!

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger Vicki said...

Beautiful fleece! I'm so jealous! I'm waiting for a small Shetland lambswool fleece to come back from the processor.

 
At 1:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

From the looks of the photo Misha is stunning. You seem to find treasures wherever you go. Maybe it is your discerning eye.

Roberta

 
At 8:32 PM, Blogger June said...

Oh Vicki! What gorgeous fleeces you have! I hope you have great fun with these. . .

 

Post a Comment

<< Home