Fiber Corner

Daily life of a knitting designer/publisher of handknitting patterns

Sunday, March 09, 2008

Opening Up the Mitten Drawer

The last couple of weeks, I've been exploring Ravelry. At first, it was to just get my designer classification so I could take charge of my pattern pages; get all the designs posted with accurate information and photos. But the more I visited the project pages of various knitter's, the more advantages I could see in filling out my own. Looking through the project pages of a knitter is almost like seeing their knitting history come to life. Before the days my designs were published, I was a knitter. All these years later, it is still my passion. And, it seems like the projects displayed, or lack thereof, can speak volumes as to what style of knitter (or designer) you really are. So, in case anyone else saw things in the same light, I decided to start filling in my notebook--slow and steady--as I'm budgeting how much time I spend on the site. Pretty much all the lace projects are up and this week I'll be starting on the mittens/gloves, which is why I dragged open a couple of the mitten drawers and snapped a pic of them all laying on the dining room table. Of course, unpublished designs will not be posted--you'll just have to catch me wearing them at a knitting/spinning event to see them. ;)

Speaking of lace....I started a new project this week.
The Forest Path stole from IK Summer 2003. Or rather, I'm restarting it. I was up to about tier 4 a couple of years ago when the magazine first came out. Tired of it, so ripped the whole thing out. The thing that bothered me about the design was the plain seed stitch border so this time I'm going to work a dogtooth edge, instead.

And, in spinning news, we're in the pink! :)
This is another skein spun from a cloud preparation purchased at Shepherd's Harvest last spring. The booth was from somewhere in SD and I hope they vend there again this May as this fiber was even more fun to spin than the blue stuff from a couple of weeks ago. The fiber content is Icelandic X/Suri Alpaca/Mohair/Silk Noil/Mylar. It's a heavy worsted size (this is getting to be a habit); about 5 oz. and 168 yds. Love it! and not just the color.

Maybe I'll use it for Debbie New's Klein Bottle Hat KAL over on the Schoolhouse Press site here.

And, I finally finished plying the first three bobbins of Perendale.
Ended up with 5 skeins and they look as though they match up to each other. Now wish me luck so I get back into the groove and spin the next batch of singles up the same as these.

Off to give it a try...

4 Comments:

At 5:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a lot of mittens.

The perendale is so WHITE and PERFECT!

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger handknitter said...

I see the potential of (and have been using) the database aspect of Ravelry, and therefore feel obligated to contribute my own information, although I only uploaded a few projects right before the holidays, and then got distracted.

I agree with your observation of getting a feel for a knitter's personality through viewing their projects -- another reason to get back to work on my own notebook entries!

Your pile of mittens is beautiful. I was looking in my sock drawer recently and re-evaluating my sock knitting, i.e., I am drawn to brightly colored sock yarn, but I mostly wear dark colored socks. Must remember to apply that to my future sock yarn purchases!

 
At 10:28 PM, Blogger Melanie said...

Oh my goodness, what a bevy of beautiful mittens! And those skeins are gorgeous - what wonderful spinning! You do fantastic work.

 
At 9:52 AM, Blogger June said...

Wow, do I envy the gloves I see on your table! Your spinning is simply awesome, and I can't wait to see your FO from the Perendale!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home