Fiber Corner

Daily life of a knitting designer/publisher of handknitting patterns

Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Knitting Camp Wrap-up

Seems impossible that it's been over a week since knitting camp wrapped up. I've been hard at working finishing up the project started there--a Tomten for my little great-nephew Keegan's 1st birthday. His big day is Saturday so it'll be heading out the door this afternoon.

The yarn used was Cascade 220 Superwash--every bit of 3 skeins. It gave me migraines! This has happened to me before with superwash yarns (Mission Falls 1824 wool) but I absolutely hate using worsted weight cotton and knew it would be better to send a washable garment if I wanted it to be worn. And, I hope this one will fit and be worn alot.
Here's a shot of the back. With all garter stitch, it was a good thing to knit on at camp and still be able to take in all the glorious show and tell.

I wasn't a very good blogger because I didn't take pics of many of them. But, here are a few. Mary A (who has 150 spindles!) with a very pretty sweater. We'd met once before through our mutual friend Kerry. Now I'll envy every time she talks about visiting her as she's one of the nicest ladies ever!
Betty wearing her Circumnavigated Cardigan along with Medrith Glover, who designed it. I ordered this pattern from Medrith as it looked like it would be great to use with handspun. Betty was so interesting--she's played the bagpipes for years, and Medrith has one of the all time great laughs as well as being a great designer.Debbie New in her Ouroborus jacket. She gave a quicky little seminar on the construction and after 4 classes of hers at Stitches East a couple of years ago, happily, I was able to follow it. She is such an inspiration (as were many of the campers) in that she's always wanting to explore and learn more.

There were so many campers I didn't get any pictures of at all. I didn't even get one of Liz who sat right next to me. Let me tell you, she has more energy than anyone I've ever met! And talent just oozes right out, I predict big things for her! Didn't get shots of Sara, or Carol, or Nina, either! But they all made my camp experience so much better than I'd imagined.

Okay, so what am I working on now? I hope to complete some little samples using techniques we learned in the mini-workshops, mostly so I can remember what they were. And, I'm up to date with the clues in the Mystery Stole 3.Don't think I've blogged about it before, but I fell down that rabbit hole when it was the topic of conversation on my favorite knitting discussion group. I ended up dyeing some Zephyr (it's actually a much darker color than shows in the pic) and am using silver lined crystal beads. And, I'm knitting the wing! Despite the lack of symmetry, I like it.

My next two projects from camp yarn are shown here. The darker purple is Meg's new alpaca/wool yarn and I'm making a little garter shawl thing that many of the campers were wearing (Cheryl Oberle gave them the pattern last year at camp). Heck, I watched with my own eyes as Marge knitted one in 2.5 days! It is soft and cushy yarn and I'm not usually a purple lover but this one has lots of heather in pink and blue shades.


The lavender yarn is destined to be Dale Long's Felted Footed Slipper. I loved this color (Fundy Fog) of Briggs & Little Regal as soon as I saw it, but it would look horrible on me as a garment, so at least I'll get the pleasure of knitting with it by making his fun slipper design.

Not too much spinning has been going on, but I'll try to catch up with that in my next post.

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 1:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Vicki....I love it! The wedding shawl is coming along. I've even fixed a couple mistakes without a complete meltdown! Of course they aren't as neat as you would have done but I think they'll pass...gotta let those bad spirits out somewhere. We need to get together. Take care.
Patty

 
At 7:44 PM, Blogger vanessa said...

that tassle is too cute!

 
At 10:28 PM, Blogger Melanie said...

I can see why camp is so inspiring. You've seen some amazing knitting and met some amazing knitters.

The little jacket is very sweeet and will be loved. The little scarf thingy looks like it will be very nice too, and the yarn really does look soft and skooshy.

 
At 11:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mary!

OK, for those of you who didn't click on the link to Liz's page, you missed a picture of Miss Vicki and her Hazel Carter shawl she made out of her handspun.

Amazing. Vicki is a Knitting Queen.

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger A Fiber Frolic said...

Keenan's blue Tomten jacket is darling. Bet you can't wait to see a picture of him wearing it. He'll be able to wear it for quite a while, I'll bet.

Like the color of your Mystery Stole, too. Could you be in a blue phase?

Hmm... a garter stitch stole that everyone at Camp was wearing. This I want to see. I've been trying to come up with something I could knit using Meg's new yarn. Could this be it?

Roberta

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger June said...

Wow, Vicki! I am so envious about knitting camp! It looks like loads of fun - and the sweater is wonderful!!! I wonder what it is that gives you the migrains from superwash? Hope that kiddo knows how much he is loved! :)

 
At 11:46 PM, Blogger Romi said...

Oooooh. Pretty eye candy. :)

 
At 5:24 AM, Blogger e's knitting and spinning blog said...

I'm sorry but there is no way it is his first birthday already!!!! Congratulations~

 

Post a Comment

<< Home