Fiber Corner

Daily life of a knitting designer/publisher of handknitting patterns

Monday, May 26, 2008

Summer Projects

Summer. It's finally here! There were days last winter when I thought it would never arrive again.

Heading up my summer priority list is the garden. Besides the herbs and salad garden, I'm planning an all pink flower border. But, even all pink flowers have peeks of other colors. I love how these lime green buds look with the pink flowers on my fuchsia hanging basket.
And, one of the men in brown delivered this box last Friday. I've been wanting one of these for a long time and now that it's here, haven't had a spare moment to play with it.

Well, I did find time to unpack it.
A Strauch Petite drum carder. It was purchased from Copper Moose but came direct from the manufacturer. Such an excellent, quality machine and carefully packed. It's available as a kit but I opted to have it assembled. Can't wait to get carding.

And, the yarn for my first big summer knitting project arrived last week, too.
This is Touch (5% Cashmere/10% Tencel/85% Merino) from Yarn Place. This may well be my favorite yarn of all time. Absolutely perfect color! It's called Rose Pink and it's sort of an orchid pink. Very, very soft and springy with a slight shimmer from the tencel component. I'm hoping the tencel will give some drape, because I'm making a shawl with it.

Not just any shawl, a Lyra shawl.
This is my start. I used Emily Ocher's circular cast on but it hasn't been pulled closed yet. And, I worked the beginning section on 2 circs and have just gotten to the point where I can switch to one circ. It is a most fun pattern to knit.

Now, if the weather will cooperate so the garden can get planted, I'll be able to move on to knitting and carding.

4 Comments:

At 2:02 PM, Blogger Gail said...

Your shawl is especially pretty in that color. What size needle are you using?

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger Melanie said...

The beginning of Lyra is simply mouth watering. The colour is "my" kind of pink, and the content sounds yummy. I hope Lyra turns into a happy obsession for you.

I can't wait to see what lovelies you produce with your new drum carder. I have the same model, but haven't done much with so far.

 
At 6:30 AM, Blogger June said...

Oh! I am so remiss, andso jealous all at the same time! Your Lyra is to die for, simply to die for!! OMG! I may have to drop everything and start this now.

I can't wait to see what you will be blending on the Strauch now that you have all that yummy fiber to play with! Do you need to start dyeing now?? lol

 
At 11:11 PM, Blogger LDSVenus said...

I am jealous not only for the lyra, very hard to get a copy of the pattern :P, and your's looks wonderful!! but I'm also jealous that you have a carder!! I have to buy rovings to spin (only because I'm too lazy to hand card, so many things to do, so little time.) :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home