Fiber Corner

Daily life of a knitting designer/publisher of handknitting patterns

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Wrapping and Rolling

So, last week I mentioned the Wrap and Roll core spinning class I took at Madrona. Well, I've been playing some more with it and, by Jove, I think I've got it! Still haven't gotten it off the bobbin and won't really know for sure until I do. If the balance isn't right, gaps will form between all those little wraps.
Inside, is a crochet cotton thread and then the handspun single is wrapped around it. A spindle is needed to remove the twist the wheel puts in the thread. So, the wheel spins S as for plying and at the same time the spindle holding the core spins Z and the aim is for equilibrium. It's taking awhile to get this half bobbin of yarn plied up because there are so many things to concentrate on at once (is the spindle still spinning, is it moving the right way, wrap some yarn, push it up, slow down your treadle foot, wrap the single, quick push it up, is the spindle still spinning, on and on) that I can only do a little at a time before needing a break.

Now, why you may ask, am I putting myself through this? Well, it's good to learn new things. Keeps your brain working. And, it's a kick when you finally get it.

In simple spinning news, I've started working on my Perendale fleece again. It's white, don't know where that slight pink cast came from.
And, I picked up the Crown Prince shawl from Nancy Bush's Estonian book. Thought I'd give it a little test block because it was looking a little small. The yarn is some yak/silk I bought from Galina (but you can get it for less $$ from Treenway). It's knitting up nicely but probably won't be more than a 44" square by the time the edging is on, so I'm wondering if that will be too small to be usable.
What do you think? Continue on or cut my losses.

5 Comments:

At 5:38 PM, Blogger Gail said...

The wrap and roll sounds a bit like a circus act keeping 5 plates spinning at the same time. What does one do with that kind of yarn?

44" would make an ok scarf, if not shawl... could you add a second border to make it larger? Will the yarn withstand the rigors of frogging, especially the nupps? It looks so delicate.

 
At 6:47 PM, Blogger Vicki said...

Another inner border. An excellent idea!! This yarn has already been frogged from another shawl--the Mediterranean Lace from GOL; ripped out because it was going to be too large. There's plenty of yardage for another border. Oh, thanks for the idea!

As for usage for the Wrap and Roll yarn. The class teacher had a lovely Scribble Lace shawl using it and had some pretty jewelry pieces, too. I'm thinking it would be good for accents along edges or something.

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger Melanie said...

Pink cast? What other colour would it dare be? The Perendale singles look lovely, and the wrap and roll is pretty too. What a challenge, kind of like trying to pat your head and rub your tummy at the same time.

I'd go for an inner border on Crown Prince too. It's very pretty.

 
At 7:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The idea of the math involved in another inner border makes my head hurt but it sounds like a good approach in theory... I would keep going, probably, but that's just me.

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger June said...

Oh Vicki, I love the core spinning, I can't seem to make myself sit down and try that!! It looks awfully tricky, so I keep puttingit off. I think yours is gorgeous and so is the Perendale you are spinning up! Wow!

As far as that knock me out shawl goes, I would personally keep going, but remember I am only 59 inches tall, so. . . it can always be gifted to a really nice internet friend. LOL! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home