Fiber Corner

Daily life of a knitting designer/publisher of handknitting patterns

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Hothouse Flowers

While the cold winter winds blow, hothouse flowers bloom.

The latest FO, my Bird in Hand mittens have already come in handy. These puppies are warm! Knit tightly on size 2 needles, the fabric relaxed slightly the first time they were worn but not so much as to make them too big.
Here's a shot of the braid join that I discussed last week. Not too much of a jog there.The second FO this week is my Mallins 44 doily.
The texture in this doily is wonderful and somehow unexpected in lace work. It ended up with a 14" diameter.
It's probably the smallest size thread I'm going to try, though. My eyes were feeling the strain near the end.

So, on the other end of the spectrum, I started spinning this.
It's some cloud prepped fiber purchased at Shepherd's Harvest last spring from Fae Ridge Farm in Iowa. At 15 WPI, it's a fast spin. Hopefully, that means a Bluebells and Perwinkle skein will be in bloom next week.

7 Comments:

At 7:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those mittens are so pretty! And I love your idea about the hem. So often they tell you to go back and pick up loops to make the hem like that, but it is not easy. I like your idea...

 
At 10:45 AM, Blogger Gail said...

Lovely mittens & mallins! Ultra Alpaca is one of my favorites, too. Did you use the original weight, or the light?

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger Gail said...

Lovely mittens & mallins! Ultra Alpaca is one of my favorites, too. Did you use the original weight, or the light?

 
At 2:12 PM, Blogger Melanie said...

Oh boy, those mittens are lovely!

 
At 5:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All very pretty! I don't think I've ever known you to spin such a thick yarn!!

 
At 5:34 PM, Blogger June said...

Oooh, I love those mittens and the African Violet, it appears I have missed some posts, I need to rss you!! Love that Wensleydale too!!

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger annmarie said...

beautiful work! I am smitten with your mittens! ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home