Fiber Corner

Daily life of a knitting designer/publisher of handknitting patterns

Sunday, May 21, 2006

Down for the count--but not out

Well, I managed to dodge getting the flu last winter, avoided coming down with the mumps when that little bug came to town this spring, didn't even catch a cold on my recent airplane flights. But boy, a wicked case of food poisoning sure did me in last week. Absolutely no spinning, spindling or knitting was accomplished.

But by Saturday, nothing could keep me from enjoying one of my favorite spring time activities--buying plants for the garden. The day started off with a visit to the annual plant sale held by the Paine Art Center. They often have unusual varieties of perennials and herbs and always have a staff of very knowledgeable and kind master gardeners who are happy to answer any questions.

Then, it was off to the Flower Farm--a quintessential family run business that I remember going to and picking out flowers when I was a wee lass. In fact, it used to be a much larger working farm that sold sweet corn in the summer--the kind of place that a dozen ears was always a bakers dozen. Now on the few fields they have left they plant pumpkins. But, ALL the annual flowers, vegetables and herbs are sowed from seed on the premises and grown on in their dozen or so greenhouses. And, no little plastic 3-4 packs either. Very environmentally friendly peat pots and plaques. People do trek from many of the surrounding cities as their plants are so well grown, but I'm lucky enough to have them only about 5 minutes away from me. (which means that this was the first of probably many visits)

Okay, here's the real reason I love this place so much. The Pansies! Usually they have 50 or so varieties. This pic only shows one small sampling. We've had a dismal couple of weeks of weather when it was cloudy/cold and rained every day so some of them weren't blooming yet. Did I mention that pansies are my favorite flower? I love that another name for them is HeartsEase--because that's exactly how I feel when I look at them.

I will leave you with a shot at the wagonload I bought. It is only a sampling as some of the out of bloom annuals were cut off of this pic.

Hold good thoughts that the rain will hold off this week so I'm able to get them in the ground.

3 Comments:

At 10:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pansies are my favorite, too! Such happy little guys.

Hate to tell ya, but the weather report is only giving us tomorrow to plant our gardens, then rain all week again. Yuck.

Glad you recovered from the poison!

 
At 7:37 AM, Blogger CatonsvilleCats said...

Yup, a favorite time of year. I love pansies too but the year always gets ahead of me and I miss the time to get them in.

Hope your tummy is all better.

 
At 10:36 AM, Blogger Gail said...

Pansies, lilies of the valley, bleeding hearts & clematis...my grandmother grew lots of flowers but any time I see any of these four -- especially the pansies -- I think of her.

I'm glad you're feeling better. Sorry I missed you while I was in town ... maybe next time!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home