Fiber Corner

Daily life of a knitting designer/publisher of handknitting patterns

Saturday, April 15, 2006

Home again, home again, jiggity jig

I'm finally home from this place--John C Campbell Folk School in Brasstown, NC. It was an amazing experience! Nearly all the people I met, those attending classes or working at the Folk School, were warm and friendly. The only exceptions were the two ladies working at the craft shop and the shuttle driver (by all means if you need transportation from the Atlanta airport find some other way than the shuttle).
Unless the students are local or stay in the campground, they are assigned living accommodations at different houses on the property. This is where I stayed. It's called Orchard House. My roommate had attended the school previously and had specifically requested this place and it was very nice. But really, I spent very little time here, as almost every waking moment was spent at Davidson Hall (where my spinning class was held). Most classes had a dedicated studio space, however, the tatting class was held in the living room at Orchard House so we always took time to check out their progress each morning before breakfast. The next time I attend the Folk School, I'd love to stay at Mill House pictured at left. Or Rock House, which I didn't photograph. They both look like they have alot of character and it would be fun to stay somewhere different. All the houses and studios are accessible from walking paths scattered around the property. This is the red rail fence which led from the dining hall down to Davidson Hall. It was a beautiful time to visit NC. The cherry trees were in bloom as well as redbud trees (which I'd never seen before since they can't grow this far north). Also, clumps of all varieties of daffodils were in full bloom as well as my favorite flower of all--pansies. This bed was at the bottom of the red rail fence and made me smile every time I saw it.

Next time, more on the spinning class.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home