Fiber Corner

Daily life of a knitting designer/publisher of handknitting patterns

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

One of These Things

Is not like the other. Can you find which one?

Last weekend was a much needed trip to Knitting Camp. It's been five years since I attended. This time I joined Camp 3--the Oft-timers groups. I was a little nervous about it as most of the participants have been together for 30 some years. But, there really was no need as they were a most warm and welcoming group filled with some of the best and most distinguished names in the knitting world. I hope I managed to leave a favorable impression as I tried very hard not to gush too much over their accomplishments nor try to monopolize the proceedings. My aim was to be quiet and listen to soak up as much as possible.

Alot of times, people ask why one would want to attend something like Meg's camp. Especially the 2.75 and 3 groups because there isn't a set type of instruction or anything for them. Besides the few new and different unvented techniques I learned last weekend, the knitters in attendance are the real draw. Such a wide and varied group of people with really important life lessons (not just knitting lessons) were there. The whole energy of the group has left me so enthused about knitting and getting on with things which is exactly what I was hoping for. So, all in all, I'd call the experience a big success.

Every year there is a contest on Monday and this year's theme was Totally Useless Knitted Items. Did I mention that Debbie New was in attendance? Yes, she completely stole the show with her entry. It was the most incredible thing I've ever seen knitted! A still shot simply doesn't do it justice because you need to see it moving to get the whole effect. She brought a knitted kaleidoscope! It started with 10 identical knitted intarsia hats. The patterns in the hats were very small and she told me that she couldn't cut any corners with them but had to weave in all the ends so they would look smooth enough and the patterns would match up. The hats were mounted on individual cone shaped pieces that each rotated around so that new patterns were formed when she turned a handle. It was astounding to watch! One of the campers took video of it and I'll try to post a link when I hear that it's up on the net somewhere. My entry was the item in the top pic. It was useless because it won't hold liquid. But it certainly wasn't useless to spend the time knitting it. Some of those little knitted experiments have a way of mushrooming, which is exactly what happened with a little teddy bear sweater which became my Diamond Patch mittens/socks and led to Heartland Knits. No idea what will happen with this one, but it was good practice in inc/dec within a lace pattern.
So, I know you want to know what I bought! Here's the loot. A couple of Dover books filled with charts which can be used for knitted motifs, some Icelandic laceweight for a Faroese shawl, some Briggs & Little for a pair of Dale Long's felted slipper pattern, a hank of Joslyn's silk/wool, some of Meg's new alpaca/wool yarn for a little tied garter shawl, some Satakieli, and a gorgeous roving that Liz dyed. Forgot to get a shot of the buttons from Jenny the Potter that have little knit sts embedded in them. I so wanted to get a big bun of unspun Icelandic but with all the fleeces around here, it could wait until another time. Plus, Michigan Fiber Fest is in 2 short weeks!

I have a few more shots of different campers that I'll try to post another day. I hope to be a more consistent blogger in the weeks to come and share pics of the things I've been knitting and spinning. Ta, 'til then.

Labels:

10 Comments:

At 6:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a very cool hat thingie!

And I love your teacup and saucer, too - it looks so real!

 
At 7:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holey moley - that kaleidoscope is just awesome, what a mind to think of something like that.

Was your teacup the sort of salmon colored one in the back?

 
At 7:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh no wait I see it... never mind. Very convincing!

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger annmarie said...

oh, my, you actually did the knitted cup & saucer. I'm in awe of that! I haven't been back to Camp for several years - family health and college tuition costs have conspired against me. I sure did love my experiences there (4 time attendee).

 
At 9:04 AM, Blogger Vicki said...

Actually, the teacup/saucer is my own design. Debbie has some in her book but they are stranded, not lace. And, very much more knitterly as they're freestanding without any help. Mine are starched into submission. ;)

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger Spinny Bunt said...

I'm completely envious! It must have an amazing time. Do you feel like the creative juices are running amok right now?

 
At 6:02 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Too cool! All of it.

I want to go to camp, too!

 
At 10:54 PM, Blogger Romi said...

I love the tea cup. :)

 
At 6:19 AM, Blogger e's knitting and spinning blog said...

I love the tea cup too!!! Liz had lots of fun. I'm hoping we can get together at Michigan Fiber Fest:-)

 
At 12:13 AM, Blogger Melanie said...

Your tea cup and saucer are amazing! They are beautiful. I'm so glad that knitting camp has left you energized and inspired.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home