Fiber Corner

Daily life of a knitting designer/publisher of handknitting patterns

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

In The Pink

It's official. The color pink has taken over my life. The above shot shows a little snippet of my pink border. Dianthus (commonly simply called pinks) and Cosmos. Other pink flowers included are: Delphinium, Petunia (regular and double), Primrose, Zinnia, Rose, Lavender, Alyssum, Snap Dragon, Vinca, Daisy (regular and African), Impatience, Foxglove, Hollyhock, Moss Rose, Baby's Breath, Dahlia and, of course, Pansy.

To expand out of my color comfort zone a little, I ordered this batt prepared by Abby Franquemont.
It was called Sunshine Sock so was expecting it to be slightly more yellow than this peachy color. The fiber content was listed as Superwash/Romney/Tussah. The batt was incredibly prepared. Very thoroughly blended and a delight to spin (aside from the color).
Worsted spun on my Ashford Joy, my 6 oz. turned out to yield 260 yds of 2 ply fingering weight yarn. The yarn will make nice socks, but will have to be overdyed first as I can't imagine spending knitting time staring at this color. Any ideas what color dye I should try?

Another arrival was my May batch of fiber from the Spunky Eclectic fiber club. Wasn't really what I was hoping for, especially after reading all the raving done by people on the Ravelry group. I feel like the only person on earth who hated it. Maybe it was just a bad batch and theirs are actually prettier, I don't know.
This photo does not accurately represent the colors. In real life it is lime green/Burgundy/Rust/Brown. Not really what any Rose Garden (the colorway name) I've ever seen looks like. Actually more like fall colors, sans the lime green. I'm going to stick with the club for one more month and if the next batch isn't more to my liking, I'll probably be a Spunky Club dropout. Now, if only Lisa would start a fiber club, I'd be assured of colors I'd love every month.

But, back to pink.

Through the deluge of rain we received last weekend, I picked up my Lyra and began knitting on it again. When starting it, I noticed that all the double decreases were charted as SK2P and since they were strong vertical lines, I changed them to S2SK. Then, as the rain pounded down (and the streets started flooding) and the patterns were developing, I failed to notice that some of the decreases finished off the top of leaves so would look better done with another decrease.
I was about 4 rows above this when I noticed. Knew I could just leave these as they were and keep a watch for the next batch of leaves, but also knew that wouldn't work for me. It was only 16 fixes and 4 rows. The above pic shows the centered double decrease (S2KP).
And, this pic show the fix. I simply dropped that stitch down, reworked the dec and then worked it back up. They're a little looser right there but when blocked won't be noticeable. And, I'm much happier with the look now, too--up to rnd 47.

Lots of pink fiber has been arriving. First up in some Apple Blossom roving from CopperPot Woolies.
It's Merino/Colonial/Tencel. Figured it would be a good sock blend, too.

Then, from Spunky Eclectic, some alpaca.
The colorway is called Pink Elephant. It is so soft and nice. Love it. I've taken to braiding all my fiber purchases as it's so much easier to store that way.

Finally, Kerry spotted this pink cloud fiber at her local shop and knew I had to have it.
Yes, I squealed like a 4 yr old when I saw it. Don't know what the fiber content is but it's very soft and stays that when when spun kinda thick and chunky.

That's all for now.

3 Comments:

At 9:59 AM, Blogger Gail said...

Don't automatically overdye the orange! Perhaps it is not your color (ha!)but you might enjoy knitting it more than you think. Knitting with orange always cheers me up in a very mysterious way. You just have to find someone to gift it to when you get to the end (or overdye it then?)

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger Melanie said...

The skein may not be pink, but it's beautifully spun! I love all the pinks. My garden is mostly pink this year too. Must be something in the air.

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger June said...

You weren't the only one who was disappointed with Rose Garden, I was too, but tuck it away until Fall, and then you can fall in love with it! I think we all go through "Seasons" too, and see things differently as our environment changes. Just my opinion of course! Love all the other goodies and you're going to have a beautimus garden soon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home