Fiber Corner

Daily life of a knitting designer/publisher of handknitting patterns

Sunday, August 24, 2008

Seen any Pods?

Long time, no blogging. My excuse? The Olympics, and the Ravelympics. My entry this year was a small one. I knew I'd be away for a few days during the middle of the games (backdated blog post explaining where/why) and wanted something that wouldn't need working on every second but just during the evenings while watching the events on tv.

So, I chose a little sweater for Keegan, my great nephew--a Wallaby from Cottage Creations.
The yarn was Encore from Plymouth. I'd much rather have used a wool, but since he's only two, figured it was more practical to use something a little easier to wash. It was fun knitting this piece and improvising details on the fly. I added a tubular cast on, jogless jog stripes with no color blip in the ribbing, cables, intarsia edging as well as intarsia in the round for the placket, and grafting in pattern on the hood.

Started spindling this big batch of Columbia fiber I got last year at Michigan Fiber Fest. I'm using my large Swan Lake Golding--1.9 oz and spinning a woolen yarn. Can't decide if I'll leave it as a worsted weight single or ply it to make a super bulky yarn. Both samples are so soft and airy.
Isn't the spindle pretty when it's filled up with yarn.
Also have been spinning this cranberry colored roving from Hidden Valley Woolen mill on my Ashford Traveller. It's called Secret Garden and is 100% Coopworth.
It's spinning up into big fat scrunchy yarn. Spun woolen to about a heavy worsted weight size.
Two spinning projects making fat yarn and a knitting project using it. I know what you're thinking...have the body snatchers been around. I promise, I haven't seen any pods laying about anywhere.

5 Comments:

At 9:09 AM, Blogger June said...

Wow, Vicki! Gorgeous colors and what nice yarns you are making!

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger Melanie said...

The Wallaby truly is Wonderful! Love the added details.

The coopworth colour is gorgeous, and the yarn is so beautifully spun. What is it about to become?

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger Kat said...

All of your projects are amazing! The Wallaby is very fun. I'm doing one in Encore, too, and I agree--it would be nicer in wool but not terribly practical for young kids.

LOVE the purply yarn goodness!

 
At 6:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The columbia and spindle are a picture perfect duo, perfectly spun.

 
At 6:15 PM, Blogger Gail said...

Lovely yarn, but is any of it for Mystery Stole 4?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home