Fiber Corner

Daily life of a knitting designer/publisher of handknitting patterns

Sunday, March 01, 2009

Power Knitting

Generally, when faced with the question of whether I'm a process or product knitter, I'll choose process. Process all the way. Occasionally, though, when a project has been hanging around a long time and it's at a monotonous point, the product mode takes over. The only way to deal with it, is power knit my way though.

That's what happened with the Crown Prince shawl this week. The only way to get through the inner square was to knit, knit, knit. Otherwise, I knew it would stall out again. So, one week later, it looks like this.
Figured it made sense to block out the completed inner square so I knew exactly where I stood in terms of dimensions. As hard as I tried, and this piece is stretched to the breaking point, the largest I could make it was 32" square. Gail suggested adding another inner border to make it larger. A very good suggestion; thanks Gail! My other thought is to redesign the edging and make it much wider. So, that will be my assignment for this week. After mulling it over, something tells me it might just go into time out again.

In other leftover news from last week, I finished core plying my wrap and roll skein.
It worked! Two days of plying and only about 20 yds of yarn. But, it's fun yarn; soft and pliable, and balanced.

Next up will be some relaxing knitting and spinning, I think, maybe even something to overcome the sweater drought I've been in lately. We'll see.

4 Comments:

At 8:48 AM, Blogger Jody said...

Really stunning shawl! I need inspiration to knit something from that book. The core spinning looks pretty neat too. You are very talented :)

 
At 3:51 PM, Blogger A Fiber Frolic said...

Whether your knitting is process or product, I think it is safe to add one more descriptor, dedicated. Whatever you are presented with is seen through to the end and the results are stunning.

 
At 8:42 PM, Blogger Melanie said...

Oh, wow, Vicki, Crown Prince is very handsome! I'm anxious to see how you decide to proceed.

Your wrap & roll skein is nifty.

 
At 1:29 PM, Blogger June said...

Oh Vicki! Where do I start?? Wow, wow, wow! I love it all! I have an excellent idea for that corespun if you don't know what to do with it. . . well, maybe it's an excellent idea! How about a wrist distaff made from it? It's so pretty! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home