Fiber Corner

Daily life of a knitting designer/publisher of handknitting patterns

Monday, May 29, 2006

Spinning and Spindling

Lately, I've been spindling or spinning on my wheel in all my spare moments. So, here are some works in progress shots.

On the left, on my Kundert spindle, is some superwash Merino in Electra from Lisa. I love the color; it's only a touch less vibrant than the photo. In the middle on one of my Russian spindles is a Cashmere/silk blend. It is soft and shimmery and absolutely a joy to spindle. And then my new little Golding Tsunami has the Persimmon Tree Alpaca/Mohair/Silk blend I purchased at MS&W. It is definitely not as red as it appears. I wasn't positive I'd made the right spindle choice at the Golding booth since I have several spindles about this same weight. However, this one spins so fast and is so small and easy to carry with me everywhere, that I'm very happy with it, now.

On my wheel, I'm practicing the long draw with some Hidden Valley Farm roving I purchased last summer. And surprise, surprise, I'm spinning it worsted weight! So I don't get too frustrated with the long draw, I'm limiting myself to ten minutes a day. No photo, yet.

My long term wheel project is also some of Lisa's fiber; Wild Things in Silk/Merino. This stuff is so wonderful to spin--it's mesmerizing watching the colors slide by. I'm spinning it very fine and may ply it with some of the same colorway in regular Merino. We'll see.

5 Comments:

At 8:33 AM, Blogger A Fiber Frolic said...

Oh, my. A picture is worth a thousand words. . . and one to aspire to. And you've also been spinning long draw and a worsted? Your blog is so inspiring.

 
At 6:39 PM, Blogger Kim said...

I love it!!!

 
At 7:37 AM, Blogger CatonsvilleCats said...

Isn't Lisa's stuff just wonderful? I think I could probably spin for the rest of my life on nothing but fiber from her.

 
At 4:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Vicki, your spinning is fabulous. Perhaps I should take my spindle with me on my cross-country trip...it may allow me to keep my sanity. It is astonishing what you can do on those beauties. :o)

 
At 8:48 PM, Blogger Sam said...

Vicki, the spinning is stunning!! What you do on a spindle is amazing. Love pics of the shearing, too - what gorgeous fiber came off of that beastie! It looks like a lot of fun.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home