Fiber Corner

Daily life of a knitting designer/publisher of handknitting patterns

Sunday, March 08, 2009

Uncle!

Enough snow already! Bring on spring....Please!

When there's a blizzard going on, the best thing to do is stay home and knit and spin, so that's what I've been doing.

The Crown Prince shawl now has an edge on two of it's sides. Still looks a little ruffled because the middle has been blocked but the edging hasn't; it will lay flat once the whole piece is dressed out.
Onward to knitting the last two sides of the edging.

One of my Joy bobbins had some silk left on it from my Judith class at Madrona. Figured it might pay to practice more core spinning; with an added twist. Found these pretty pink flower shaped sequins at the craft store and threaded them onto some thread along with some beads. Held the thread along with the singleuntil I realized that the sequins wouldn't fit through the orifice of my wheel. Ooops.

So, then I threaded the beads onto the silk single and occasionally pulled one of them up where it was locked in place by the core spinning surrounding it.
The core used seems a little too thick; some size 50 or 60 Cordonnet leftover from one of my doilies might be better to use with a fine silk single.

In simple spinning news, I cracked into some of the fiber from Madrona. This is superwash Merino from Crown Mountain Farms in the Riders on the Storm colorway. Mel kindly split her batch of fiber with me after I saw it and they didn't have any more of this color. Thanks, Mel! It's just the thing for blizzard stress spinning.

2 Comments:

At 3:12 PM, Blogger Melanie said...

Oh! Oh! Now I want to start spinning Riders on the Storm right away - yours looks wonderful! I started Just for You, two bobbins down and one to go for a three ply sock yarn.

Crown Prince looks so pretty, rumpled or not. I'm eagerly awaiting his glamour shot.

 
At 7:19 PM, Blogger June said...

What eye candy! Whoa! I love the Crown Mt. colorway, of course it's one that is out of stock!!

Your core spinning is totally awesome too, I did the "embiggen" thing on the pictures to see the up close and personal thing! So nice!

That shawl is out of this world just like that blizzard - Good Lord! I can't wait to see it blocked out again!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home