Fiber Corner

Daily life of a knitting designer/publisher of handknitting patterns

Sunday, February 05, 2006

Trying to knit the blues

So, I finished spinning the first bobbin of the blues (blue/lavender/aqua) Corriedale roving I dyed a couple of weeks ago. While spinning, I split it lengthwise into strips about 1" wide to avoid long color runs (such as in Noro yarns). And, tried not to overtwist it since I wanted to knit it as a singles, but found while winding it onto my niddy noddy that it drifted apart in several places. Looks like it hadn't been spun enough in those spots. After setting the twist, here's what it looks like in the hank and wound into a center pull ball--there are large bands of color swirling around it. Hmmm.

I had intended to make the Tempelhofer Airlifter shawl by Hazel Carter but when I took out the pattern and looked at it found that there could be a problem. It's a triangular shawl with a wide border. I thought the triangle shape and increasing stitch count of the rows would be good to prevent the colors from pooling. I hadn't considered the border. It is knit sideways which would make the colors form into wide stripes. Not good.

Well, there are other shawl patterns. And after looking through them, I decided on one I've always loved--the Mediterranean Lace shawl from Gathering of Lace. It is shaped like a triangle in the back and a stole in the front, however, the lace edge is picked up around all the edges and knit in long rows so the striping wouldn't be a problem. Or, so I thought. Here is the beginning of the shawl--the first 45 rows. See those wide stripes--Yuck! I ripped it out and tried knitting alternately from both ends of the ball and just got little stripes. It wasn't pretty. Yes, the stripes should become narrower as more stitches are added, but, I'm not sure if the lace pattern will show up enough through them.

Maybe...I ought to start considering a round shawl.

3 Comments:

At 5:10 AM, Blogger e's knitting and spinning blog said...

Oh man, the colors are gorgeous though and the spinning looks just perfect!! I think a round shawl would look very cool!

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger jenknits said...

Well, I love the way the lace is looking, even if you don't. I am gobsmacked with the beautiful dyeing, spinning, and knitting you do! I think a circular shawl would look lovely in this stripey- yarn, it would be like a spiral on a snails shell.

 
At 7:20 AM, Blogger Anne Turner said...

You don't like it?? Slap!! Thats the most beautiful thing I've ever seen! But then I adore Noro yarns.
Annie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home