Fiber Corner

Daily life of a knitting designer/publisher of handknitting patterns

Monday, September 25, 2006

Pretty in Pink

Look at what was waiting for me this afternoon when I arrived home from seeing the dentist. A box from The Wheel Thing. Inside of it, wrapped up in pink tissue paper and surrounded by pink styrofoam peanuts was this lovely spindle.

It's a Tabachek compact deluxe. The whorl is made from Santos Rosewood, the Shaft from Pecan, and it weighs 36g (1.27 oz.). The rosewood is a little darker than it appears in the pic, but I love the way the grain of the wood swirls around the whorl.

The end of the shaft is beautiful turned and the entire spindle just feels good in your hand. I've given it a quick sample run and it spins fast and true. It doesn't show in any of the photos, but the hook is a nice size and open, so it's easy to get the yarn in and out of it.

When I was trying to decide what size spindle to buy, Kerry sent me a picture similar to this to compare the size of the compact deluxe Tabachek spindles to some others. I found it very helpful so this is my version in case anyone is wondering about the same thing. The Tabachek is in the middle and there is a Mielke to the left of it, and a Kundert to the right.

As you can see, my spindles are empty but there's nothing like getting a new one to help get fired up about spindle spinning again. Maybe I'll even find some pink fiber in the stash to use on the new Tabachek--it looked so pretty surrounded in pink.

2 Comments:

At 7:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is one gorgeous spindle! The wood is just gleamy. I wish you many happy hours with it!

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger Angela said...

I just love the Tabacheks - have fun!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home