Fiber Corner

Daily life of a knitting designer/publisher of handknitting patterns

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Welcome Keegan

The best happening of the summer had to be the arrival of little Keegan John. Isn't he sweet? He's the son of my nephew Josh and his wife Erin. Yes, that's right--I'm a great aunt!

Josh is someone I think about every day as he's one of the soldiers stationed in Iraq. Keegan was born in the middle of August during his daddy's two week leave but they'll have time to get to know each other better in Dec when Josh returns for good. This pic of the baby was taken when he was about a month old. In the photo that came with the baby announcement, I thought Keegan looked just like his mom. But in this shot, he reminds me alot of what Josh looked like when he was that age.

Josh was the first baby I ever held. His mom was my oldest sister and one of the most important people in my life. I know she would have loved being a grandma!

So, I knew I needed to knit this special baby a welcome to the world present and had something all designed when time got away from me. Babies only stay little for a short time, so instead of going ahead with the original piece, I knit him a Baby Surprise sweater. It's one of Elizabeth Zimmermann's designs, that astonishingly, I had never knit before. It was fun to do; I can see why it's a favorite among knitters. It's made from some Socka sock yarn accented with Lisa's Sock! yarn in the Valentine colorway. The booties are also an EZ design--very fun and fast and a perfect match to the sweater in a very miterly sort of way. Hope they fit.

4 Comments:

At 5:05 AM, Blogger e's knitting and spinning blog said...

Congratulations great aunt! The sweater is lovely. His grandma may not be here physically but I'm sure she is smiling down on that beautiful baby!

 
At 8:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a sweet baby! That whole circle of life is something, isn't it? I think that baby is going to need lots of handknit sweaters in the years to come!

 
At 8:26 AM, Blogger CatonsvilleCats said...

Wow I love how that sweater came out! You do beautiful work.

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger jenknits said...

What a beautiful baby! Congratulations on the Great Nephew. And I love the Baby Surprise with the red trim. Very nice knitting!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home