Fiber Corner

Daily life of a knitting designer/publisher of handknitting patterns

Sunday, May 03, 2009

Wee One

A new spindle arrived this week. Just a wee little thing, smaller than I imagined it would be.
It's a Jenkins Turkish Delight. The wood is Pink Ivory and it weighs 1.3 oz.

Here it is all put together. Awwww. This thing is so cute it's impossible to talk about it without the pitch of your voice rising two degrees.
All filled up it looks like this. I'm spinning a wool/silk blend purchased last year at Shepherd's Harvest from Morning Sun Fiber Barn. It's a light airy roving. Since Turkish spindles generally spin slower than their top whorl counterparts, I'm finding it easiest to spin more of a woolen single. This little guy is completely mesmerizing to use.

Here's a shot of the underside.One nice thing about Turkish spindles is as you wind on, it forms a center pull ball. You wind over two arms and then under one arm.

In knitting news, I started another doily. This is the no-name Niebling in the latest issue of Anna.
It's very spiderweb-y and seems to be going together really quickly as I only started this on Friday night and am just about halfway done.

We'll see if that sort of progress continues now that the days are nice and the garden is calling.

5 Comments:

At 9:20 PM, Blogger vanessa said...

suweet spindle :-)

 
At 3:13 PM, Blogger Melanie said...

Your pink ivory spindle is the pinkest pink ivory I've ever seen. Perfect! It really is a cute spindle.

Are you knitting the doily with frog hair? I can barely see the thread.

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger A Fiber Frolic said...

Hmmm . . . I'm going to have to have a closer look at that spindle. It really appeals to me, also the fact that it spins woolen. Hmmm. .

Another delicate doily, too. Wow!

Roberta

 
At 5:26 PM, Blogger annmarie said...

interesting!

 
At 1:39 PM, Blogger June said...

You do the coolest things! I love it all! I wish I had as many knitting/spinning hours as you do in a day! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home