Fiber Corner

Daily life of a knitting designer/publisher of handknitting patterns

Sunday, June 14, 2009

Now...With 10% More Whining

The blog. It's back open for business. It's come to my attention that some of the very popular blogs that get a bazillion comments feature a fair bit of whining. You know the ones--oh dear, I cast on the wrong number of sts. Twice. What to do, what to do. W-h-i-n-e.

Well, when we left off, I'd started working on one side of the border for the Indiski shawl. Just when I finished the last repeat, I looked down and noticed a mistake about 7 repeats back.

Oh, Woe is me! what shall I do!
RIP, of course. I've never quite understood this reluctance to rip out one's knitting. There was no deadline looming, the yarn is cashmere, and, after all, I like to knit. Just like that. It was knit back up and the second border done, too.
Once the inner borders are finished, the pieces will be joined at the center miter. The pattern calls for the yarn to be left attached at the corner and a new end started for the inner border with the top edging worked last. But because I'm working from a cone of yarn I decided to work it right away so I wouldn't have to estimate the amount of yarn to wind off and then deal with while knitting the middle section. It was either that or cut it and deal with another yarn end, which I'd rather not do.

In spinning news, I broke into the Blue Moon Sheep2Shoe kit I bought at Madrona. The color is called Dutch Canyon.
The colors seemed pretty bright, but alot of them cross the color wheel so I expected them to calm down once spun up. I tried Mel's trick of spinning a three ply fractal. For once I actually got a three ply sock weight yarn.
The singles were spun on the Joy and measured in at 57 WPI. It was plied on the Reeves. This is my new favorite handspun. Can't wait to knit with it.

Also, combed this delectable 2 oz of raw Peaches and Cream cria alpaca. It's a true gold color--think the color of a light Golden Retriever. And, seriously, it's as soft or softer than cashmere.Spun up into a heavy lace weight.

And, since this arrived while the blog was in limbo, I figured I'd post it now. The May/June Tactile club fiber. Club openings for the next three months are open until tomorrow. Just sayin', you might as well sign up. You know you want to.

Okay, that's it. Started out whining but it seemed to fade out at the end. I'll do better next week. Promise.

8 Comments:

At 7:19 PM, Blogger June said...

OK, see, I can't see a whine in there! Maybe a little stamp of the foot, but you really have to wind it up and make the *whole* post about "woe is me" for it to qualify for a true whine!! (lol)

I don't even know where to start - your fractal spun sheep2shoe looks amazingly awesome, and your alpaca looks like my favorite doggie (Holley, who is waiting for us at that colored bridge). And I think you are baiting me for the tactile club. . . I will go check it out, of course.

And the knitting part of your whine. . . well, holy cats, bat man! I can't believe how much you accomplish in one darn week! Please tell me how you do all this!?

 
At 7:27 PM, Blogger Vicki said...

Well, that was a couple of weeks of knitting in there. The first border was knit in double time so I'd catch up and the second border I went back to my original one repeat a day regime.

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger Vicki said...

OH yes, and all of you who read and don't bother to comment are getting the Stinkeye.

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger Angela said...

You need to work on your whining (ducks and runs).

The cria looks delectable, your Dutch Canyon fractal sock yarn looks great (I will have to try this next time) and Indiski looks like it will be gorgeous - nice color!

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger Melanie said...

You're going to have to kick the whining up a notch, it's not nearly intense enough.

So the shawl is all knit in pieces and sewn up, or do you pick up from the borders?

What a bevy of beauties I find here today! The spinning is so very lovely, and it's just perfection. I love the fractal sock yarn, but the alpaca? That knocked my socks off. It's So Gorgeous!

I love your new Tactile fiber. Too bad I missed the club closing.

 
At 3:39 PM, Blogger vanessa said...

OMG, that sock yarn is GORGEOUS!!!

 
At 4:34 PM, Blogger Roberta said...

So that's the alpaca I've been hearing about. I knew one day you would spin a fiber into gold, and there you've done it. How glorious it is. . . . as is everything.

Roberta

 
At 10:24 AM, Anonymous Caroline said...

Ha ha! You are too funny.

Lovely spinning!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home