Fiber Corner

Daily life of a knitting designer/publisher of handknitting patterns

Sunday, October 08, 2006

More baby surprises

Last weekend I stopped by my friend Patty's alpaca farm and when we went down to look at the animals were surprised to see a new arrival. This little baby wasn't due until later this week and was born only minutes before we happened upon him. He wasn't even completely dried off yet and we watched as he got up on his legs and took those first wobbly steps. Then Patty scooped him up in her arms to check out baby and lead mom up to a closer pasture.


All the other alpacas wanted to crowd around and meet the new arrival--dubbed Picasso's Renoir, too. Isn't he just the cutest thing!

While I was there I picked up some more fiber from a girl named Celia.

It's hard to tell in this pic but the staple length is 6" and this was from her cria fleece. It washed up into the "whiter than white" sample shown below left in the photo. I'm using my Forsyth mini-combs to process it and I swear it feels almost softer than cashmere.

All alpaca is nice to spin and knit...but somehow it's even better when you know their names.

2 Comments:

At 3:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My gosh, these alpacas are so cute, and the baby! The baby!!! This must be one of the cutest little ones I've seen for long - thanks so much for sharing these pics! I also love the fiber you picked up, looking forward to seeing what you're going to make with it!

 
At 3:51 PM, Blogger jenknits said...

So many sweet little babies in your life! Lucky you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home