Fiber Corner

Daily life of a knitting designer/publisher of handknitting patterns

Sunday, July 12, 2009

A Good Day

We have a small flock of Pelicans spending the summer here. It's always a good day when they're spotted in flight or on the bay during my daily walk. And, to be able to get a photo to share with all of you was even better.

It was also a good day because I finished spinning and plying my first fleece. This was a Perendale purchased from Treenway back in 2007. It was so very white that I nicknamed it Snow.
I combed it with my Forsyth mini-combs during the summer of 2007.And, started spinning it on my Lendrum Saxony during the winter of 2008. Spinning continued during the winter of 2009 and finished up last week.
Total yardage is 2,923 yds of fingering wt yarn. When I started I wasn't sure if I wanted to use this yarn alone in a sweater, in which case I could double strand it if I needed a thicker yarn, or use it with another of my fleeces in a stranded Fair Isle type sweater. The latter is what I'll probably do with some of it.

It reminds me alot of Satakieli so perhaps I'll dye some in different colors to use for Latvian mittens.
All in all, I'm very happy to have finished the spinning part of this project. I loved every part, the washing, the combing, the spinning and plying, BUT staring at plain white yarn can be a tad b-o-r-i-n-g. I feel a spinning explosion of color, color, color in my future. Please, feel free to leave a comment with a link to your favorite Etsy vendor. (Lisa S, you'll be getting my order this week!)

But first, to finish up some knitting. The Indiski shawl will be completed this week and when I attach the edging I'm planning on taking pics for a Russian grafting tutorial. So check back.

11 Comments:

At 10:48 PM, Blogger Laura A said...

It is gorgeous, but as you mentioned, that is a LOT of white. My hat's off to you. I hope you love whatever it ends up becoming.

I've never bought fiber on etsy, but I'm working towards getting my Tweedy Batts etsy store up, hopefully in the next month or so.

In the meantime, I'm dyeing and carding a lot. Completely surrounded by color and it's glorious. Enjoy your next venture.

 
At 12:38 AM, Blogger jenknits said...

Now that is what I call commitment! The spinning is lovely and I hope it is a joy to knit. My favorite etsy vendor is Fiber Optik, but her store is not being updated until after Sock Summit. Maybe you should make a trip west?

 
At 1:26 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

can't wait to see what it will become...diana..caston41...see you week after next

 
At 2:46 AM, Blogger Mary in VA said...

That's gorgeous stuff. You must be proud. Can't wait to see what it becomes.

 
At 6:45 AM, Blogger June said...

Oooh, it's so pretty! Are you going to dye some of this? I can't wait to see what you come up with! I have a few favorite vendors on Etsy, specifically Limegreenjelly, Loop (she's updating today at 10:00 eastern standard time), Enchanted Knoll Fiber - YUM!, Etc., Etc.!

 
At 7:09 AM, Anonymous Caroline said...

What beautiful big crimp that fleece had! I know what you mean about white - I knitted a huge white lace shawl about 5 years ago and am still not ready to knit white lace yet...

 
At 11:52 AM, Anonymous Jan said...

Gorgeous yarn on a gorgeous wheel. I hope you glory in it for a long and happy time.....

Can hardly wait to see your burst into color!

 
At 3:25 PM, Blogger Melanie said...

Colour me gobsmacked! You've done that gorgeous fleece proud. You spin so beautifully. I'm looking forward to seeing what comes next.

 
At 5:22 PM, Blogger Gail said...

I like the photo of the stack of little puffs of prepared fiber best. So glad to see your blog is back; I hadn't checked in awhile (or blogged myself), not since Summer semester started.

 
At 6:39 PM, Anonymous kerry said...

3000 yds. That's a lot of laceweight! It's a lot of anything! It's a beautiful pile!

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Vicki, hi! 'Member moi from John C Campbell? :) You're one step ahead of me- the important finishing step! I'm working on my first full fleece. Gift of unknown breed. Dark brown. Scoured the filthy thing using my neighbor's top load washer (I have front load). Carded it last summer, blending with about 15% beige, local alpaca for a heathery look. Spinning very fine singles (haven't done wpi). Will become 3 ply for a sweater from A Fine Fleece. You are an inspiration for me to move along. I'm on bobbin #5 and not yet half way thru with the singles.

Joan Y. from Georgia

 

Post a Comment

<< Home