Fiber Corner

Daily life of a knitting designer/publisher of handknitting patterns

Sunday, January 03, 2010

New Year--New Post

It's a brand new year. Have to start it out right with brand new knitting projects.

There's a Ravelry group doing a 10 shawls in 2010 challenge that I was just going to watch from the fringes, but at the last minute got sucked into. I may not even try to get ten done but it is fun to make up a list. And, really, it's not my fault, see how much I *need* a new shawl!
This is the second time I've completely worn out my daily workhorse Faroese shawl. It's difficult to look at--bigger holes are quickly growing across the back. But, it's the perfect weight and style to wear around the house in the winter as the tails can be tied behind the back and with the shoulder shaping it will stay on if it's just left open.

The design is by Marilyn van Keppel from an old Knitter's, also included in their compilation Shawls and Scarves book, and is being knit without modification. Lots of garter to start with--this batch was mostly knit during a trip to the movies on New Year's day.The yarn is Laceweight Icelandic in a sage-y green heather. It's starts at the lower edge and works up so these first rows are l-o-n-g.

Don't worry, even with some new shawl projects in the works, I've not forgotten my list of sweaters. Here is the start of my Rose Lace Bohus but I'm wondering if I should restart and take the gauge down a tad more. It's slightly tighter than the pattern states (I'm not worried about sizing--I know how to deal with that). What concerns me is how sloppy the purl sts look and general unevenness in the fabric. What do you think? I'm using a 2.5mm needle now, and could go down to a 2.25mm. The white garter at the bottom is what I used for a provisional cast on since it's easier for me to start stranding when there's some knitted fabric below the needles and not just a piece of scrap yarn. The borders are going to be baby cables.

And, I've been trying to keep up with another of my New Year's goals to spend some quality time with my spinning wheels and spindles. This is about 1.5 oz of newly spun 3-ply sock weight yarn. The roving is from River's Edge Weaving Studio and fiber content 60% superwash Merino/40% Seacell impregnated with silver.
It is soft and slippery with lots of sheen. This batch is slightly underplied but I think it will knit up okay. If not, it'll be fixed by shooting it back onto the bobbin to add a little more twist. It's kinda a different color for me, too, don't you think, it looks slightly darker in person.

So, that's it for this week. Be sure to let me know what you think about the Bohus.

3 Comments:

At 9:22 PM, Anonymous Maureen in Fargo said...

The Bohus looks fine to me but if you aren't happy with it then I say take it out and go to the smaller needle. If you think that it's sloppy now you won't change your mind and you won't be happy with it and you want to be happy with your knitting, right?!

 
At 12:46 PM, Blogger Gail said...

I think the Bohus is fine too, and I'm looking at it slightly larger than actual size on my computer screen. How much will it change when it's blocked? Does this yarn bloom the instant it hits the water? It really does boil down to what pleases you. I think it will be lovely whatever you decide. 10 shawls PLUS sweaters? I haven't even contemplated my new year's knitting, but then I just got the dog home from his vacation spot while we were in WI.

 
At 2:51 PM, Blogger Melanie said...

I can't offer any opinions on the Bohus but I am wondering what will happen to the fabric when it has been washed. Perhaps the bloom will fill out the stitches.

Whatever you decide, it's already a lovely piece of knitting.

I love the handspun skein, both the colours and the spinning.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home