Fiber Corner

Daily life of a knitting designer/publisher of handknitting patterns

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Oh, Bohus

How the sight of you cheers me on a cold winters day.

The finished collar.
Remember, the white at the top are just holding sts and will be replaced with a band of the solid pink.

Yeah, you need a close up shot, too. I tried to get the purls to show up. These Bohus are amazing with color and texture all rolled up into one.
And, the Reeves (sans flyer) played model for me. As you can see, this is not the traditional way to knit a Bohus. I'm using steeks and am knitting the entire thing in the round. A traditional Bohus is knit flat after the collar and the cardigans are knit flat from the get-go with vertical buttonbands attached as you knit. Maybe someday I'll knit one in a traditional method just for the experience, but couldn't see a reason to this time around. Actually, these pictures are a couple of days old, I've finished the short rows (which drop the front neck down) and am almost finished with the raglan increases and preparing to split for the sleeves. Lots of tiny sts at almost 9 sts/1" but the yarn is so soft and pretty that it's a pleasure to knit every single one of them. So far, at least.

Oh, and there's FO pics, too. My Faroese shawl for everyday wear has been finished for a couple of weeks. Here's an ugly blocking shot showing the wingspan.
And, another showing the color and lace a bit better.
Design by Marilyn van Keppel found in Knitter's #48.
4 skeins laceweight Icelandic in sage
Size 8 needles
Measures 38"x 76"

And, one last pic for you. Since the monthly fiber clubs haven't been a big success for me, this year I decided to purchase something each month from one of the Etsy or other small vendors. First up was the highly recommended Corgi Hill Farms. My pics are a little washed out but the ones she posted were a perfect match for what I received. The batts are very nicely prepared; she includes a little mini-batt to practice with and even a few candies. I highly recommend her, too.
So, that's it from here.

6 Comments:

At 2:10 PM, Blogger Jaya said...

You are enticing me to start mine! It is looking fabulous. I love the colors in the Rose Lace Collar.

 
At 3:17 PM, Blogger June said...

Oooh, I love it Vicki! So very, very pretty. I hope the Reeves doesn't have a new permanent job there!! I've gotten a couple Corgi Hill Batts myself . . . waiting for the Kirsten to arrive to play with them! :)

 
At 5:29 PM, Anonymous Patty K said...

Oh so pretty bohus! Just to entice you....my rovings should be here tomorrow. I leave for Denver tues at 6am...Don't worry I won't sell any before I come back!

 
At 6:13 PM, Blogger Vicki said...

Oh,and I was just thinking this week we needed a spinning playdate. Maybe when you get back. You've been studying so hard you deserve a baby bump fix.

 
At 3:01 PM, Blogger Melanie said...

Your Bohus is lovely! The Corgi Hill batt looks very yummy too. Are you going to feed it to your new pink flowered spindle?

 
At 7:48 AM, Anonymous Caroline said...

Beautiful! The colors will look great on you, too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home